There are two types of Windows 10 user accounts, “Local account” and “Microsoft account“. You can switch between Local account and Microsoft account.
Microsoft account is the name for what was previously called Windows Live ID, and it consists of a email address and a password.
If you have ever used Outlook.com, Hotmail, Office 365, OneDrive, Skype, Xbox, Windows Phone, the email address and password you use for any of those services is your Microsoft account, then you already have a Microsoft account.
By signing in with “Microsoft Account“, you can access and use online storage service OneDrive“, E-mail service “Outlook.com“, online game, apps and games from Microsoft Store etc. by linking computer and internet service.
Local account has traditionally been used in from previous versions of Windows. This account is only associated with the device it was added to. Offline account is just another term for Local account, not online.
A Local account works only on that specific Computer and it’s nothing more than an account to access the PC.
On the other hand, Microsoft account can be associated with multiple devices you own, syncing files, apps, and Windows settings.
Note: Even If you are logged in as a Local account, you can use Microsoft Online service such as Windows Store with entering your Microsoft account information when starting Online services.
Sign in with Microsoft account
Microsoft would prefer you sign in to Windows with Microsoft account. When you are installing Windows 10, you are first forced to enter Email address for a Microsoft account.
Even though Microsoft prompts you to enter a Microsoft account, you can switch to and create a Local account and password.
▼ Click 1> Settings > Accounts, Or press Shortcut keys.
▼ On Your Info tab, the type of account currently in use is “Local account” at the right pane. Click 1“Sign in with a Microsoft account instead” below that.
▼ Next, if you have a Microsoft account on the screen below, enter your 1email address or phone number. Click 2button.
▼ If you do not have a Microsoft account or want to acquire a new Microsoft account , click 1Create One! and register.
▼ Enter 1Password and click 2button.
▼ Next, enter 1password of the currently used local account. Click 2button.
▼ Although switching to Microsoft account is completed with this, if you want to raise the security more, set “PIN“. If you want it, Click 2button. If you want to set it up later, click 1“Skip this step“.
▼ As shown below, you can see that you have switched to 2“Microsoft Account” in 1“Your Info” tab.
By logging in with a Microsoft account, you can manage this online service provided by Microsoft. Click 3Manage my Microsoft account.
▼ It will display the information about your Microsoft account and your Device.If you want more detailed information, click 1See all.
▼ In the 1Status section, you will see details about your PC. 1Your device is up to date display the latest date of Windows update, and 2Windows Defender Security Center status.
It also displays about 3Bitlocker encryption of the drive and the capacity info of your 4drive.
▼ When clicking on 1Device & support, you will see Window OS information of your PC.
▼ You will see the 2e-mail address of the currently registered account in 1Email & app accounts tab.
▼ Clicking the abovebutton, it will open the settings of Microsoft Account Synchronization Options.
▼ You can also check the Synchronization with other devices using a current Microsoft account.
- How to switch to Local account from Microsoft account in Windows 10There are two types of Windows 10 user accounts, “Local account” and “Microsoft account“. You can switch between Local account and Microsoft account. Local account… Read More »
- How to change Local account to Microsoft accountShareTweetPinShare0 SharesThere are two types of Windows 10 user accounts, “Local account” and “Microsoft account“. You can switch between Local account and Microsoft account. Microsoft… Read More »
- How to change C:\Users\ original user name to the new user name and user folder name《2/2》12 If you restarted your computer, you will be logging in to your standard account with a new username(here,BestFriend). Problems logging in ▼ When Signing in,… Read More »
- How to change C:\Users\original user name to the new User name : Rename User folder name《1/2》12 In Windows 10, even if you change to a new account name, you can not, in principle, change the user folder name that you… Read More »
- How to easily change and hide the User account name displayed in the Start menu and login screen12 When you install Windows OS on your PC, you must register the user account. The user account name that you initially specified is displayed… Read More »